Hairspray is a popular styling product that has been used by men and women for decades. However, there have been concerns about the impact of hairspray on hair health. Some people believe that using hairspray can damage hair, while others argue that it’s harmless. In this article, we will explore the myths and facts surrounding hairspray and its impact on hair health.
What is Hairspray?
Hairspray is a type of cosmetic product that is used to hold hair in place after styling. It contains polymers that form a thin film around inpidual hair strands, which helps keep hair in place. Hairspray is available in different strengths, from light hold to strong hold, depending on the needs of the user.
Who Uses Hairspray?
Hairspray is used by people of all ages and genders who want to maintain their hairstyle throughout the day. It is especially popular among people with fine or thin hair, as hairspray can add volume and hold to their hair. Hairspray is also used by people with curly or frizzy hair to keep their locks under control.
When Should You Use Hairspray?
Hairspray should be used after your hair has been styled. It can be applied to dry or damp hair, depending on the desired effect. If you want to add volume to your hair, apply hairspray to the roots before blow-drying. If you want to hold your style in place, spray hairspray over your hair after styling.
How to Use Hairspray Safely
Using hairspray safely is important to avoid any potential damage to your hair. Here are some tips for using hairspray safely:
- Hold the can at least 10 inches away from your head when spraying.
- Spray in short bursts rather than one long spray to avoid over-saturating your hair.
- Use a wide-toothed comb or brush to evenly distribute the hairspray throughout your hair.
- Do not apply hairspray to your scalp, as it can clog your hair follicles and cause irritation.
Pros and Cons of Using Hairspray
Like any other styling product, hairspray has its pros and cons. Here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of using hairspray:
- Provides long-lasting hold for hairstyles.
- Adds volume and definition to flat or lifeless hair.
- Can help control frizz and flyaways.
- Comes in a variety of strengths and finishes to suit different hair types and styles.
- Overuse of hairspray can cause hair to become brittle and dry.
- Hairspray can build up on hair, making it feel greasy or heavy.
- Some hairsprays contain alcohol, which can be drying and damaging to hair.
- Applying hairspray too close to the scalp can cause irritation or clogged hair follicles.
Alternatives to Hairspray
If you’re looking for an alternative to hairspray, there are several other products you can try:
- Hair mousse: This foam-based product adds volume and hold to hair without the sticky feeling of hairspray.
- Hair gel: Gel is a stronger hold product that can create sleek, sculpted hairstyles.
- Texturizing spray: This lightweight spray adds texture and definition to hair without the stiffness of hairspray.
- Dry shampoo: If your hair needs a refresh between washes, dry shampoo can absorb excess oil and add volume to limp hair.
Step-by-Step Guide to Using Hairspray
Here’s a step-by-step guide to using hairspray safely and effectively:
- Style your hair as desired using a blow dryer, curling iron, or straightener.
- Hold the can of hairspray at least 10 inches away from your head.
- Spray the hairspray over your hair in short bursts, focusing on areas that need extra hold or volume.
- Use a wide-toothed comb or brush to distribute the hairspray evenly throughout your hair.
- Allow the hairspray to dry completely before touching your hair or applying any other products.
Comparing Hairspray to Other Products
Hairspray is not the only styling product available on the market. Here’s how it compares to some other popular styling products:
- Hair mousse: Mousse is a lightweight foam that adds volume and hold to hair without the stickiness of hairspray. However, mousse may not provide as strong a hold as hairspray.
- Hair gel: Gel is a stronger hold product that can create sleek, sculpted hairstyles. However, gel can be heavy and leave hair feeling crunchy or greasy.
- Texturizing spray: Texturizing spray adds texture and definition to hair without the stiffness of hairspray. However, texturizing spray may not provide as much hold as hairspray.
- Dry shampoo: Dry shampoo is used to refresh hair between washes and can’t provide the same hold as hairspray.
Tips for Using Hairspray
If you’re considering using hairspray or are already a frequent user, here are some tips to help you get the most out of this styling product:
- Use a light hold hairspray for everyday wear. Strong hold hairsprays should be reserved for special occasions or more complex hairstyles.
- Apply hairspray in layers to build up the desired hold without over-saturating hair.
- Use hairspray sparingly on curly or textured hair to avoid weighing down natural curls.
- Avoid spraying hairspray directly onto your face or clothing, as it can cause irritation or staining.
- Always wash hairspray out of your hair before going to bed to prevent buildup and damage to your hair.
The Best Hairsprays for Your Hair
With so many different hairsprays available on the market, it can be challenging to know which one is best for your hair type and style. Here are some of our top picks for the best hairsprays:
- L’Oreal Elnett Satin Hairspray: This cult classic hairspray provides a long-lasting, strong hold without leaving hair feeling heavy or crunchy.
- Bumble and Bumble Thickening Dryspun Texture Spray: This unique spray adds volume and texture to hair without the stiffness of traditional hairspray.
- Living Proof Flex Hairspray: This flexible hold hairspray allows for natural movement while still providing hold and control.
- Oribe Superfine Hairspray: This lightweight hairspray provides a flexible hold with a glossy finish, perfect for sleek styles.
- Kenra Volume Spray 25: This high-hold hairspray is perfect for keeping even the most complex hairstyles in place all day long.
In conclusion, hairspray can be a useful styling tool for creating and maintaining a variety of hairstyles. Like any other beauty product, it should be used in moderation and with care to avoid damaging your hair. By understanding the myths and facts surrounding hairspray and using it safely and effectively, you can achieve the look you want without sacrificing your hair health.
Stephanie is a hair specialist at Belady Hair Factory, a high-end hair distributor located in downtown Toronto. She is a trained cosmetologist and has been with the company for over five years. Stephanie has vast knowledge in hair care and styling and can provide clients with everything from classic to trendy looks. She is also knowledgeable about the different products in the market and can help clients choose the right one for their hair type. Full her bio.