How often should you condition your hair?
This is a question that many people are interested in. Although conditioning your hair often brings a good effect on nourishing hair, but if you abuse your hair too much, it will also have a bad effect on your hair.
Let’s find out how to effectively and safely condition your hair right now.
How often should you condition your hair?
You should condition your hair daily. Conditioner is recommended to be used daily to help add nutrients to the hair as well as make them smoother and shinier.
You should use a conditioner after shampooing. However, for some hair types such as oily hair, the frequency of using conditioner can be less, only 2 to 3 times per week is reasonable.
Why do we need to use a conditioner?
Conditioners are hair care products used to change the texture and appearance of hair. Hair conditioners often contain many ingredients such as moisturizers and sunscreens, so they have the ability to protect hair.
Conditioner is usually used after shampooing. There are many reasons why conditioner becomes a companion for your hair as below:
- Conditioner deeply penetrates nutrients into the hair to make hair strong, healthy, smooth, and improves the condition of damaged hair.
- Has the effect of creating a protective layer on the hair from harmful environmental factors.
- Has a detangling effect, when you apply conditioner to your hair, the first feeling you will notice is that the hair becomes soft, helping to prevent hair from tangling.
- Support to reduce hair loss for hair while washing hair.
- Conditioners with a medium pH can make the scalp no longer exist in the hair cuticles, making in the hair shiny and smooth.
- Conditioner has a moisturizing effect on the hair follicles, in particular, in the dry season when the hair and scalp are often dehydrated.
What is the reason for regular hair conditioning?
Through the benefits that conditioner brings to the hair as we listed above, have you partially answered the question at the beginning of the article?
- Due to its restorative, nourishing and protective effects on the hair and quite gentle on the scalp, conditioner is recommended for daily use.
- Shampoo cleans hair with strong detergents. Using shampoo every day will make your hair dry and split. Therefore, using conditioner regularly will help your hair avoid tangles, dryness, and breakage.
- Using conditioner daily helps bring moisture to the hair, making it smooth and easier to comb
- You can still use conditioner to condition your hair when you do not shampoo your hair before. You should only wash your hair 3 to 4 times per week to clean your hair
- For dyed hair, it is necessary to use conditioner more often. This helps to not only make hair stronger and more resistant to chemicals but also keep the color in the hair longer.
Notes when conditioning for your hair
Regular use of conditioner is very good for hair. However, you should also get the following notes for the most perfect hair conditioning.
- Make it a habit to use conditioner every day even if you don’t shampoo your hair
- Choose the right conditioner for each type of hair.
- For dry hair, choose a conditioner that contains a lot of nutrients.
- For soft hair, only use a low-quality conditioner for the hair.
- Use a typical conditioner for dyed hair because dyed hair often needs to be provided with more nutrients.
- Do not apply conditioner close to the hair root. You should only apply conditioner about 2 cm to 3 cm from the roots to the end of your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often should you incubate your hair?
As you all know, incubating hair is one of the 3 basic steps in the regular hair care and nourishment of all of us, which are: shampoo – conditioner – incubate the hair.
We can wash, rinse and incubate our hair about 3 to 4 times a week. However, according to hair experts, there will be separate treatments to ensure the best hair, depending on the type of hair.
2. My hair is oily, should I regularly use conditioner?
For those with oily skin, their hair gets dirty quickly. Using conditioner makes hair even more sticky. This makes oily skin lazy to use even skipping the use of conditioner. However, not using conditioner makes the hair dry and frizzy. Besides, sweat and oil also secrete more to limit that dryness.
Therefore, for those with oily skin, it is still necessary to use conditioner. However, you should balance the dosage as well as the frequency of using conditioner to suit the needs of your hair.
On the other hand, it is better to choose a conditioner made for oily people and rinse thoroughly with water for clean and smooth hair.
3. Any conditioner can be used, is this correct?
Many of you think that conditioner helps your hair stay healthy and soft, so it’s the same to use any type. But did you know that one conditioner cannot suit all hair types? Therefore, you need to find out what conditioner your hair needs before deciding to buy.
4. Should I apply conditioner to my entire hair?
Many of you have a habit when using a conditioner by applying from the roots to the ends of the hair, sometimes even on the scalp. This is very harmful because the scalp does not need to provide moisture. This even makes the scalp oily. To achieve the effect, you should only apply conditioner 2 to 3 cm away from the roots.
How often should you condition your hair? Like diet or exercise, results will only be visible if you do it consistently. So, if you want silky smooth hair, just using conditioner once is absolutely not enough.
You need to use conditioner regularly after each shampoo to get the results you want. Especially, those who have hair that has been treated with chemicals such as dyeing, curling, stamping should use conditioner on a regular basis.
Stephanie is a hair specialist at Belady Hair Factory, a high-end hair distributor located in downtown Toronto. She is a trained cosmetologist and has been with the company for over five years. Stephanie has vast knowledge in hair care and styling and can provide clients with everything from classic to trendy looks. She is also knowledgeable about the different products in the market and can help clients choose the right one for their hair type. Full her bio.