What is Clip in Hair Extensions?
Clip-in hair extensions are a type of temporary hair extension that can be easily attached to your natural hair using small clips. They are a popular way to add length, volume, and thickness to your hair without the commitment or cost of permanent hair extensions.
Clip-in hair extensions come in a variety of lengths, colors, and textures to match your natural hair. They are typically made from synthetic or human hair and can be styled and cut just like your natural hair.
The installation process for clip-in hair extensions is simple and can be done at home without the help of a professional stylist. The clips are attached to the wefts of hair extensions, and then clipped onto your natural hair near the roots. The extensions can be easily removed by unclipping the clips.
Clip-in hair extensions can be a great way to add versatility to your hairstyle without damaging your natural hair. They can be worn for special occasions or for everyday use, and can be taken off at the end of the day.
Clip in Hair Extensions vs. Other Hair Extension Types
Clip-in hair extensions are just one of several types of hair extensions available on the market. Here are some of the differences between clip-in hair extensions and other popular hair extension types:
Clip-in hair extensions vs. tape-in hair extensions:
Tape-in hair extensions are semi-permanent and attached to your natural hair using adhesive tape. While they can last for several weeks, they are more difficult to remove and require professional installation and removal. Clip-in hair extensions, on the other hand, are a temporary option that can be easily removed at home.
Clip-in hair extensions vs. sew-in hair extensions:
Sew-in hair extensions, also known as weaves, are attached to your natural hair using a braiding technique and a needle and thread. While they can last for several weeks, they require professional installation and can be uncomfortable and heavy. Clip-in hair extensions, on the other hand, can be easily installed and removed at home and are a lightweight and comfortable option.
Clip-in hair extensions vs. micro ring hair extensions:
Micro ring hair extensions are attached to your natural hair using small beads that are clamped onto the hair. They can last for several months, but require professional installation and can be damaging to your natural hair. Clip-in hair extensions, on the other hand, are a non-damaging option that can be easily installed and removed at home.
Types of Clip in Hair Extensions
Clip-in hair extensions come in a variety of types, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most popular types of clip-in hair extensions:
Synthetic clip-in hair extensions: Synthetic clip-in hair extensions are made from synthetic fibers and are a more affordable option than human hair extensions. They are available in a wide range of colors and styles, but can’t be styled with heat tools.
Human hair clip-in hair extensions: Human hair clip-in hair extensions are made from 100% real human hair and can be styled just like your natural hair. They are available in a range of colors, lengths, and textures, and can be more expensive than synthetic extensions.
Remy clip-in hair extensions: Remy clip-in hair extensions are made from high-quality human hair and have the cuticles intact and aligned in the same direction. This results in a more natural look and feel, and makes the extensions less likely to tangle or mat.
Halo clip-in hair extensions: Halo clip-in hair extensions are a type of clip-in extension that doesn’t require clips or adhesive. Instead, the extension is attached to a thin wire that sits on top of your head like a halo. This type of extension is easy to install and remove, and doesn’t damage your natural hair.
Double weft clip-in hair extensions: Double weft clip-in hair extensions are made with two wefts of hair instead of one, which makes them thicker and fuller than regular clip-in extensions. They are a great option if you have fine or thin hair and want to add volume and body.
How to Install Clip in Hair Extensions?
- Choose the right extension set: Select the right set of extensions that match your hair type, color, and length. Consider the weight of the extensions, and make sure that they are not too heavy for your natural hair.
- Prep your hair: Wash and dry your hair thoroughly before installing the extensions. Use a comb to part your hair where you want to place the extensions.
- Tease your roots: Take a small section of hair at the roots where you want to place the first weft of extensions. Tease your hair with a comb to create a secure base for the clips to attach to.
- Clip in the extensions: Take the first weft of hair extensions and hold it against your teased roots. Use the clips to attach the extensions to your natural hair by snapping them closed. Work your way up your head, adding more wefts of hair extensions as needed.
- Blend the extensions: Once you have all of the wefts in place, use a brush or comb to blend your natural hair with the extensions. You can also style the extensions with heat tools if desired.
- Finish and secure: Once the extensions are in place, give them a final brush and style as desired. Use bobby pins or hair elastics to secure the extensions in place if needed.
Maintenance of Clip in Hair Extensions
Proper maintenance is essential to keep your clip-in hair extensions looking great and lasting longer. Here are some tips for maintaining clip-in hair extensions:
- Brush regularly: Brush your hair extensions gently with a soft-bristled brush or a wide-tooth comb to keep them free from tangles and knots. Start at the bottom and work your way up to avoid pulling on the hair.
- Wash and condition: Wash your extensions every 10-15 wears or as needed using a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Avoid using hot water and don’t rub or twist the hair while washing.
- Air dry: Air dry your extensions by laying them flat on a towel or a hanger. Avoid using a hair dryer, as heat can damage the hair.
- Store properly: Store your extensions in a dry and cool place, away from direct sunlight. You can also store them in a protective bag or container.
- Avoid heat styling: Avoid using heat styling tools like straighteners, curling irons, and blow dryers on your hair extensions, as they can cause damage and reduce their lifespan. If you must use heat styling tools, use a heat protectant spray.
- Be gentle: Be gentle when handling your hair extensions, and don’t pull or tug on them. Remove the extensions before going to bed or participating in any strenuous activity.
Removing Clip in Hair Extensions
Removing clip-in hair extensions is easy and can be done at home with just a few steps. Here’s how to remove clip-in hair extensions:
- Locate the clips: Locate the clips on each weft of hair extensions. There are typically between 2-5 clips on each weft.
- Open the clips: Gently open the clips on each weft by applying pressure to the sides of the clip. Be careful not to pull on the extensions too hard, as this can damage them.
- Slide out the wefts: Once the clips are open, slide the weft out of your hair. Start from the bottom and work your way up. Repeat this process for each weft of extensions.
- Remove any tangles: If there are any tangles or knots in the extensions, gently comb them out with a soft-bristled brush or a wide-tooth comb.
- Store the extensions: Store the extensions properly in a dry and cool place, away from direct sunlight. You can also store them in a protective bag or container.
By following these steps, you can safely remove your clip-in hair extensions without damaging your natural hair or the extensions themselves.
How Much Clip in Hair Extensions Cost?
The cost of clip-in hair extensions can vary depending on several factors such as the quality of the hair, the length of the extensions, and the number of wefts included in the set.
Generally, clip-in hair extensions can cost anywhere from $20 to $200 or more. Lower-priced extensions are typically made of synthetic hair and may not last as long as higher-quality human hair extensions. Human hair clip-in extensions are usually more expensive but can be styled and treated like your natural hair.
The cost can also vary depending on the brand and where you purchase the extensions from. Some popular hair extension brands include Ivirgo Hair and Belady Hair, and the prices for their clip-in hair extensions can range from around $100 to $300 or more.
Overall, the cost of clip-in hair extensions can vary widely depending on the factors mentioned above, so it’s important to do your research and choose a set of extensions that fits your budget and meets your needs.
Clip-in hair extensions are a popular and versatile option for adding length and volume to your hair. They are easy to install and remove, making them a great choice for those who want to switch up their hairstyle frequently. With a variety of types, colors, and lengths available, you can find clip-in hair extensions that match your natural hair and suit your style.
By properly maintaining your clip-in hair extensions, you can help them last longer and continue to look great. Whether you’re looking for a temporary change or a long-term solution, clip-in hair extensions are a great way to achieve the hair of your dreams.